Thursday, September 25, 2008

Gelato Survey: First Entry

I think I've found my first good gelateria. Kelly and I were wandering the streets on the southern side of the Arno yesterday, using our lunch our to explore a new street and get a feel for the whole lunch scenario outside of the touristy parts of town. Successful in our lunch pursuit, we found a decent pannino for only 2.50 euro, which is almost half what places in the touristy part of town sell it for. Anyway, continuing our wandering, were crossing the Ponte Santa Trinita, the bridge just one to the west of Ponte Vechio, when we spotted this Gelateria on the corner, aptly named "Gelateria Santa Trinita."

Unlike the cafes with a tiny comercial gelato freezer that holds the standard six flavours, this gelateria had a room devoted to gelato, with the gelato freezer stretching the entire length and holding in it's deliciously frozen depths a couple dozen flavours. It was quite difficult to decide which kind to get. I know the translations for most of the flavours (gelato flavours are definitely high up on the list of important Italian words to know) but there were easily five or six flavours that I had no clue about. After agonzing moments of decision while we waited for our turn to order, Kelly and I finally selected one flavour each to try - Kelly tried the yogurt flavour, to see if it really was the same as her american favorite, and I tried "Santa Trinita." A swirl of colors from cream to brown looked very promising, and the name told me that it was the house specialty, but other than that I have no idea what it was that I ate. Very good though. I think somewhere in the concoction was some sort of nut flavour.

In summation, Kelly came away with a double scoop of Yogurt in a cone, a dependable reproduction of the flavour some know here in America. I ordered one scoop Santa Trinita and one Chocolate in a cup. The chocolate wasn't overly sweet, but it went very well with the other flavour, and I thoroughly enjoyed my choice. We both ordered the 2 euro size and agreed that they gave generous portions - in the future we might get the 1.50 euro size which is the smallest possible.

Results: Gelateria Santa Trinita was excellent. Definitely going to go back for more of those flavours.

No comments: